While it may not feel like it during small bouts of summer heat, fall (and then winter…) is coming! The best time to prepare your home for the wet and cold is when it’s dry and warm! Here’s some simple things you can do now:
- Clean out your gutters. This small task can prevent some big problems when the rain hits! While your on a ladder, check the roof for damaged shingles, flashing, or vents.
- Prepare your furnace for active duty. If its been a while, get it professionally serviced, but you should at least inspect it for damage and
- replace the furnace filter. The worst time for it to go out is when its coldest out!
- Seal the cold out and warm in. Inspect your doors and windows for damaged weatherstripping and caulking. Don’t make your furnace work overtime!
- General safety check. Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, make a fire escape plan, and put together an emergency preparedness kit. It’s not season specific, but always a good idea to do!
- Clean your chimney. Inspect the flue, clean out the fireplace, and get it professionally swept. Prevent a fire!
- Fix concrete and asphalt cracks. Now is the time to repair those pesky cracks before the winter weather comes and makes them a big problem.